San Francisco Police Activities League
PAL Law Enforcement Cadet Program:
2021 SUMMER CADET ACADEMY & 2021-2022 INTERNSHIP APPLICATION
Completed applications are due by 5:00 pm, Friday, May 7th, 2021 (No Exceptions)
Please consider attending one of our virtual information sessions prior to submitting your application:
Wednesday, April 14 from 5:00pm:6:00pm or Saturday, April 17th from 10:00am-11:00am
PAL LAW ENFORCEMENT CADET PROGRAM
The PAL Cadet program has been in continuous operation for half a century and has provided opportunities for growth and leadership for thousands of San Francisco youth, including many who have chosen to pursue law enforcement or public service careers. The program operates year-round and meets regularly to provide ongoing training and community service opportunities for PAL Cadets ages 14-20 years old.
The program has four goals for Cadet Participants:
- Engage in program activities centered on five emphasis areas of learning that include: Career opportunities and job skills development; Life skills; Citizenship; Character education and Leadership experience
- Experience positive leadership from adult and youth leaders and have the opportunity to take on leadership roles.
- Have a chance to learn and grow in a fun, supportive, and caring environment.
- Gain practical experience and knowledge about careers in law enforcement and public service.
SUMMER CADET ACADEMY & INTERNSHIPS
New participants must commit to the following for the next year beginning in June 2021:
- Complete and graduate from the 4-week PAL Summer Cadet Academy: June 7th-June 30th, 9:00 am -3:00 pm
- Participate in an internship program at SFPD stations or bureaus (approximately 4-6 hours per month) during the school year
- Attend ongoing training and/or community service (approximately 4-6 hours per month)
After the first year, PAL Cadets are encouraged to continue in the program to gain new leadership and career experiences through internships, community service and continue learning until they reach the age of 21.
The Summer Cadet Academy will accept approximately 30 new PAL Cadets and provide training modeled after the basic training academy for new police recruits. The Summer Cadet Academy is designed to give PAL Cadets an enhanced hands-on job skill and leadership development experience through proper preparation and training. In addition to the classroom, training Cadets are required to perform significant physical training as part of the Summer Academy. Participants should be in good physical condition.
The SFPAL Law Enforcement Cadet Summer Academy is a collaborative program between the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) and the San Francisco Police Activities League (PAL.) Graduates of the Summer Cadet Academy will be placed in an internship at an SFPD District Station and/or SFPD Bureau. Through these internships, PAL Cadets will have the opportunity to gain job and career skills in a structured environment supervised by police officers and will participate in police ride-alongs, help at SFPD district station community events, and assist with SFPD station activities as requested. Once a part of the program, participants can continue after the specified year commitment as long as they are in good standing and eligible or until age 21.
For questions please contact Ofc. Michael Costello at Michael.J.Costello@sfgov.org or call 415-401-4666.
Completed applications must be received (via mail, in person or email) at the SFPAL office no later than 5:00 pm Friday, May 7th, 2021. (Applicants will be notified no later than May 28th.) Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
For further questions contact Ofc. Michael Costello at Michael.J.Costello@sfgov.org or call 415-401-4666.