Thank you for your interest in participating in the U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad (USNCO). To learn more about the USNCO near you, find your coordinator here.
High school students who are eligible to compete in the USNCO
are invited to apply for the 2022 USNCO Coaching program. USNCO Coaches are high school teachers from across the world who will work in teams to lead small group study sessions. 30 minute tutorials on one of the ten topics addressed in USNCO exams will precede 1.5 hour small group sessions. Roughly 100 students will be accepted for Local Section Exam preparation and 100 for National Exam preparation.
Coaching sessions will be organized over Zoom and coordinated by the American Chemical Society. Two coaches will work with approximately 10 students at each session. Each group will remain the same throughout the program. Students are asked to apply for either help with the Local Section Exam or the National Exam. Further details will be provided to students who are selected for coaching.
Please forward this application to other high school students and chemistry teachers
Applications are due on Friday, December 10, 2021
Students will be informed if they will receive coaching by Friday, January 7, 2022.
Applications from students who are female, African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islanders, or from other groups not currently well represented among National Exam nominees are particularly encouraged
Who is a good candidate for coaching?
- High school (9, 10, 11, and 12 grades) students
- Students who are currently or were previously enrolled in a chemistry course
- Students who are among the first in their schools to participate in the USNCO
- Students who would not otherwise have access to coaching/tutoring
- A student who has not previously attended USNCO Study Camp.
- National Exam preparation only: students must meet eligibility criteria
What is the schedule of coaching sessions?
- Friday, January 14, 2022 - 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM ET
- Friday, January 28, 2022 - 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM ET
- Friday, February 11, 2022 - 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM ET
- Friday, February 25, 2022 - 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM ET
How will students be chosen?
- The members of the USNCO governing subgroup will review applications looking specifically at student availability, student commitment, and if their high school is relatively new to the USNCO
- The pool of students ultimately selected for coaching must approach demographics of the United States
- Applications will not be chosen based on current academic marks
What if I'm not chosen for coaching?